Tuesday 12 January 2010

Cinema Redux

A long time ago I found the coolest thing. It's called Cinema Redux. This is basically what it is:

"Created in January 2004, Cinema Redux explores the idea of distilling a whole film down to one single image. Using eight of my favourite films from eight of my most admired directors including Sidney Lumet, Francis Ford Coppola and John Boorman, each film is processed through a Java program written with the processing environment. This small piece of software samples a movie every second and generates an 8 x 6 pixel image of the frame at that moment in time. It does this for the entire film, with each row representing one minute of film time."


I'm glad I can finally use this technology to my advantage. Here are examples of what I did using Thumber, and some of my favourite visual movies.

The City of Ember



Amelie



Pride and Prejudice



Spirited Away

2 comments:

  1. Havent seen spirited away in aaages.
    Noticed your a JR Ward lover, whoop
    Jen...x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I love JR Ward! Rhage is my favourite brother =)

    ReplyDelete